The majority of parents don’t even consider attending musical activities with their little one until they are at least 18 months old and we are always asked the question “Is my baby too young to attend your classes?”.
So why is it that mums, dads, carer’s don’t feel that their child is old enough?
In most cases;
- They feel their baby is too young and won’t benefit from attending such classes
- Parents/carers are not musically inclined
- They don’t understand the developmental benefits of music
- They are unaware that specific under 12 month music classes exist
At Wiggle And Giggle Music we believe that a child’s musical experiences start before they are born and the earlier a baby is exposed to music, the greater the long term effects.
A detailed study in the journal “Current Biology”**, found that babies can distinguish between languages with different rhythms and pitch changes and that they mirror the actual rhythms of their native tongue. It is in the womb, long before babies can physically reproduce sounds themselves that they begin picking up elements of language.
Our under 12 month classes are perfect for mother’s groups as well as a great way for mothers to connect with other mums and dads with babies of a similar age. We find that most mother’s groups that start with Wiggle And Giggle Music, maintain long lasting relationships, as they watch their children progress through the Wiggle And Giggle Music program until they go to preschool or school.
So why attend Wiggle And Giggle Music with your baby?
- Helps develop language through sound recognition and vocalisation
- Helps develop hand / eye co-ordination through use of instruments
- Creates a strong parental bond
- Sensory development and stimulisation, through the use of puppets, ribbons sticks and parachute fun
- Helps develop social skills – by interacting with parents, teachers and other babies (Hello, goodbyes)
- Many of our venues allow parents/carers to have a tea/coffee whilst children play in a safe age appropriate environment before or after classes
- Wiggle And Giggle Music is heaps of fun for both parents and babies
K.McGrath – We love Wiggle & Giggle!
Madilyn has been attending since she was around 6 months old and we are currently in our second term..
The kids love it! I love watching her learn, and I like that she can spend some time with other children her age It also gives us mummies a chance to meet new people and make some new friends.
I highly recommend this program to all my mummy (& daddy) friends! They have a huge selection of venues and its not expensive at all!
C. Edwards – Addison LOVES wiggle and giggle!
Addison has been going from 2 months old (now 7 months) she gets so excited when we walk into Muckabout knowing its “wiggle and giggle on Tuesday” day
It is amazing to see her development now being able to sit up and engage more with the puppets
Also a great workout for my arms this term lifting her up and down in every second song lol
**Honing, H. (2011, in press). The illiterate listener. On music cognition, musicality and methodology. Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press.
Written by: Christina Jones – Managing Director – Wiggle And Giggle Music